[Gta04-owner] Linux 3.2-rc2 on GTA04

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Mon Nov 21 12:32:41 CET 2011

Hi,
 I decided that the only kernel that I really wanted to run on my Phoenux is
current mainline (plus necessary patches of course).

And I have been paying for that decision - there was a substantial rewrite of
twl4040-irq recently which broke it.  But I now understand threaded nested
interrupts and it is all happy again.

So current mainline kernel + patches boots on my GTA04.  Battery changing and
monitoring works, as does USB networking (and all the basic stuff of course).
I haven't tried much else and there is clearly lots to do :-)

You can see my current code at
   git://neil.brown.name/gta04
The 'merge' branch is a merge of several other branches, currently
 gta04 i2c bq27000 twl4030-irq power
some of which are tidier than others.
Also visible at
   http://neil.brown.name/git/gta04
but remember to select the "head" that you want.

You can get my config with
   make gta04a3_defconfig

it has lots of debugging options turned on - once it actually starts being
usable I'll turn a lot of those off.

This is largely based on David's 3.1 based kernel.  I haven't added anything
not in there - just fixed things and removed cruft.  e.g. I'm using the
mainline twl4030_charger rather than the older twl4030_bci_charger.

I plan to regularly rebase all these branches on current mainline, so they are
more useful for fetching that pulling into a working tree.  I really hope to
feed a lot of things upstream as soon as they are ready.  bq27000 and
twl4030-irq are the only bits that are ready at the moment.

The next big thing I want to work on is proper integration of the LED
controller - with the 'wlan reset' line looking like a GPIO output rather
than an LED :-)

But there are bugs I really want to fix too:

 - omap2430.c registers a blocking notifier on an atomic notifier call chain
 - something causes 'udevadm settle' to block for up to a minute at boot.
   It is very variable and may be related to reading the bq27000 battery
   status
 - find out why reading battery status is sometimes slow and either fix or
   hide the slowness.
 - I don't think the battery charger is charging the backup battery (for RTC).
 - Battery charging doesn't start until I plug in the USB cable.  i.e. if I
   boot with USB plugged in, I have to unplug and replug before charging
   works.
 - power-down doesn't - e.g. "halt -f -n -p" doesn't actually shut down.
 - "echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger"  reboots, but USB networking doesn't work
   again.  Strangely "reboot -f -n" does end up with USB networking
   working again.
 - despite setting a host MAC address for usb networking it very occasionally
   used a random MAC address of the host.

 - check this:
 [   12.236419] [ INFO: suspicious RCU usage. ]
 [   12.245147] /home/git/gta04-mainline/drivers/base/power/opp.c:153 suspicious rcu_dereference_check() usage!

Any suggestions or patches for any of these would be most welcome :-)

So much to do - so little time!

NeilBrown