[Gta04-owner] Charging battery from USB

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Nov 9 19:02:49 CET 2011

Am 09.11.2011 um 18:18 schrieb Neil Jerram:

> On 09.11.2011 16:59, Benjamin Kiessling wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 2011.11.09 16:49:24 +0000, neil at ossau.homelinux.net wrote:
>>> I could be wrong, but I believe it's impossible for the phone to be
>>> off when USB is plugged in.
>>
>> I just plugged in my mini-B cable into the mini-AB socket and nothing
>> happened.
>
> Is that with a GTA04?
>
> I agree that that's what happens for a GTA02.  With my GTA04, though,
>
> - if it's off, and I plug the USB in, it boots immediately
>
> - if the USB cable is plugged in, and I tell the phone to shut down, it shuts down and then boots again immediately.
>
> To get it to go off and stay off, I need to tell it to shut down, then remove the USB cable while it is doing that.
>
> Is it just me, or do other people with GTA04 see that?

Yes.
There appears to be a lock in the kernel drivers. I think it says something like
"not shutting down because VBUS is available".

I don't know if this can be solved differently or is the best solution.

Maybe it is not possible to completely shutdown but suspend the
device so that it can wake up.

Christoph has written some statements about power management
and maybe the 3.1 or 3.2 kernel will be a better basis to solve it than
the 2.6.32.