[Gta04-owner] Frequency scaling

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 11:35:19 CET 2011

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net> wrote:
> On 07.11.2011 20:41, Christoph Mair wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've done some experiments with the power saving branch for the OMAP
>> processor and with a small patch for the boardfile (copied from the BB
>> boardfile) automatic frequency scaling works using the ondemand
>> governor. Initially only between 600MHz and 300MHz, but this can be
>> modified by adding more so called "operating points". This just needs
>> more experiments. I will try to push the patches asap but I'm quite
>> busy right now. I'm hopeing the best for this weekend.
>
> Sounds interesting.  Would the benefit of that be battery saving?

Yes. Using various power management options in the linux kernel and
enabling them through sysfs or debugfs used up to 50mA less power when
idle. I'm sure there are a lot more things which can be optimized to
save even more power, for example lowering the core voltage when using
lower frequencies. This does not work automatically yet.

Regards,
  Christoph