[Gta04-owner] Status PCBs / Kernel development

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Mar 31 09:27:00 CEST 2011

Hi all,
we have now finally ordered the PCBs and now we just have to wait...
Approx. 4 weeks until they arrive :(

For the CPUs I have to ask Avnet what the current delivery estimate is.

We can fill the time a little with working on the user manual and preparing
the infrastructure to work on the kernel.

For the latter, I have some questions where you may be able to help.

The idea is that we try to track the latest Linux kernel (2.6.39 started)
as good as possible since many improvements for the OMAP platform
and the BeagleBoard have already appeared there. And the TI/ARM kernel
community will fix bugs for us...

What they will not do is to maintain our GTA04 platform, i.e. specific drivers for
the display, touch, sensors, buttons etc.

This is work we have to organize ourselves and submit patches to
the kernel mailing lists and hope they include them.

Writing the drivers itself is not the major magic. We already have one
for the TD028 display (ported from GTA02 code), for the TSC2007
touch screen driver. GPS and Bluetooth are serial interfaces and
WiFi is SDIO (the same as for the GumStix).

But these drivers and configs are only part and compatible to the 2.6.32
kernel we have here:

	http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/source/tree/linux-2.6.32/
	http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/unstable/src/

E.g.:

	http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/source/tree/linux-2.6.32/drivers/video/omap2/displays

Unfortunately, I have no experience in is how to really work with the git.kernel.org,
how to bind ourselves to linux-next, how to track changes that appear there
and get patches accepted, etc.

Starting over with a copy of vanilla 2.6.38.tbz and migrating our 2.6.32 patches
so that it works for us would not be difficult. But we rapidly loose any updates/fixes
by newer kernels. And have to do it again for 2.6.39...

So what I want to avoid from the beginning is that we run too fast and have several
versions and unharmonized kernels being available and finally nobody
knows how to or cares about mainstraming it (the fate of the GTA02 U-Boot).

Is someone of you very experienced in that type of work and can help to set
up how to work together and organize all this, so that we finally get to the goal
of a mainstreamed GTA04 kernel?