[Gta04-owner] PCB layout --- final roadblock removed!

Neil Jerram neiljerram at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 22:10:04 CET 2011

On 23 March 2011 17:19, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> as indicated by the headline, we have finally achieved:
>
>        100% PCB connectivity!

Hooray, well done!

> So I am sure you now ask yourself, what the next steps of the GTA04 core
> project will be. Here we are:
>
> 1. make another careful review of the PCB design
> 2. get a new quotation from our PCB manufacturer and have them check the layout and estimate production time
> 3. update component list, order the remaining components (we have already received almost all non-standard components)
> 4. have a stencil being produced
> 5. have our production partner make a program for the pick&place machine
> 6. build a first handful of units and test them
> 7. build the full batch of Early Adopter units
> 8. ship them to you
> 9. have fun to continue working all together on the kernel and drivers (we should upgrade to 2.6.38 asap)
> 10. provide a tested and pre-configured Debian Squeeze rootfs with LXDE
> 11. collect and share experiences

That sounds great to me.

Regarding the kernel, why 2.6.38 in particular?  SHR, Debian and
QtMoko are all now on 2.6.34 (I believe) and that seems to be working
very smoothly.  Are there things between 2.6.34 and 2.6.38 that you
will need for the GTA04 hardware?

> Some more words about the future:
> the GTA04 core team will focus on Hardware, U-Boot and Kernel/Driver
> improvements. The Debian/LXDE will be sort of a demo/test image and
> not work on user interfaces and distributions. We hope that SHR, Hackable,
> QtMoko, Android and other open software projects will become available
> as a community effort .

I hope so too, and to help with that.

> I will keep you updated on progress of these steps.

Thanks!

Regards,
        Neil