[Gta04-owner] case for GTA04 with 3D-printing?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Jul 26 19:40:11 CEST 2011

Am 26.07.2011 um 19:18 schrieb Alastair Johnson:

> On Tuesday 26 July 2011, Alexander Lehner wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> has anyone ever played with the CAD data of the FreeRunner and tried to
>> 'print' it in shops like www.shapeways.com?
>>
>> I ordered some items from shapeways in the past and the result is really
>> surprising. But I'm not a CAD-guy and just curious whether this is worth a
>> try.
>>
>> (You can print things also in metal, even gold or glass. Having such a
>> case would for sure be pretty cool).
>
> The only one I've heard about was an extra layer that clipped on in place of
> the back to house a radio module. The guys behind the GTA04 got a quote for
> printing the existing case design i think, so you could check the discussions
> about that in the archive.
>
> You need to be careful about antenna interactions when printing in metal, but
> there's certainly scope for an interesting case. I'm not convinced glass is
> the most practical of materials though...

Yes, we did some experiments but have not modified the case data (we have
no mechanical engineer in the team). Shapeways could not produce the parts.
But they may have improved now.

Here are the CAD files in different formats (Shapeways wants to see the STL format):

	http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/CAD/

And David 'Leviathan' is working on his RepRap to improve the precision,
but AFAIK it is still not good enough.

If anyone has new ideas, please share.