[Gta04-owner] GTA04A3 Testing Status Update

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 20:31:36 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 19:24, Johannes Schauer <j.schauer at email.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 04:40:04PM +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> Now, I am not sure if we still can and should try to catch the
>> production slot this week or wait 3 more weeks with production and do
>> many more tests.
>>
>> If we can get the units produced, we would have them on Monday or
>> Tuesday. But some areas are still not completely tested and may
>> malfunction. These are:
>>
>> * Bluetooth / WLAN
>> * Camera
>> * Audio PCM of the UMTS module
>> * Battery charging
>> * some other minor areas
>>
>> And since everything is done in a hurry, we will not be sure how many
>> of the units will finally work and how many will fail.
>>
>> What do you think? Should we
>> a) hurry and have all of you help testing (but low chance
>>      to repair) or
>> b) continue testing in our small team on two boards.
>>     Ensuring that almost every bit and piece in hardware
>>     works (not necessarily optimized, but works)?
>>

> option B
>
> Firstly, I think that the early adopters can help much more with
> software than hardware fixing. Being an early adopter myself I'm much
> more interested in software development for the platform than fiddling
> around with the hardware. I doubt that many early adopters have enough
> knowledge to be very helpful with hardware but I might be very wrong.
> Giving early adopters a mostly working unit in a few weeks would
> increase their software output (compared to giving them a unit with less
> stuff working) which in turn increases the usability of the final
> product.
>
> Secondly, the initial satisfaction with the board will be much higher
> with more things working. I doubt that even though they know that
> hardware might be errornous, most early adopters would like to have a
> more buggy version. I would rather have a good feeling in a month than a
> mediocre one sooner.

I (as an EA) second this, since I don't have access to surface mount
equipment and cannot fix much HW problems.

And a second reason for option B):
If we go for option A) and find lots of HW bugs, we might not
be able to test all the functionality.  If we go for option B),
I hope the chances for HW bugs (show stoppers) in the final
version will be dramatically reduced.

Anyway, I don't expect the board to be without HW bugs, but
I hope at least HW which may need our help to test has no
short circuits or similar.

If audio (audio paths, noice, etc) and all high frequency stuff
should be tested by EA's (time consuming tests),
this HW will need a basic functionality so it is testable.
That way you may get more valuable info than just "works"
or "does not work".