[Gta04-owner] possible wi-fi improvement

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Jul 6 08:33:54 CEST 2011

Am 06.07.2011 um 08:20 schrieb Glenn:

> On 29/06/11 10.59, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> The Chip is said to have approx. this spec:
>>
>> WiFi operation
>> 	160 ... 250 mA (continuous receive @ 11 MBit/s
>> 			        ... continuous transmit @54Mbit/s)
>>
>> 802.11 Power Save Mode
>> 	10 mA (I don't know when this mode
>> 	becomes enabled by the drivers, if at all)
>>
>> BT operation
>> 	28 ... 55 mA
>>
>> BT Deep Sleep
>> 	2 mA
>>
>> Power Down
>> 	0 mA
>>

> Have a look on this paper, that might promise halving wi-fi power consumption, provided IEEE modifies the beacon-standard and the wi-fi chip manufactures releases a new firmware update containing the beabon-feature:
>
> Manweilers study paper:
> http://www.cs.duke.edu/~jgm/files/manweiler11sleepwell.pdf
>
> Justin Manweilers homepage at Duke University:
> http://www.cs.duke.edu/~jgm/

Interesting approach.

Well, RMS did send me a mail to discuss why we use a non-free firmware
(we currently can't find a more open low-price chipset at our distributors). In
the discussion he mentioned that the OLPC project did start to write their
own firmware for Marvell chipsets but it appears that it is not completed [1].
Maybe someone can volunteer to continue the project and add the new protocols?

Nikolaus

[1]: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Marvell_microkernel (last edited in 2008)