[Gta04-owner] beagle board sd card installation

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jan 31 08:09:10 CET 2011

Hi Alex,

Am 30.01.2011 um 13:13 schrieb Alexander Lehner:

> Hello,
>
> I was trying to install a SD card for my XM-BB according to these instructions:
>
> http://download.goldelico.com/ombeagle/20100921-lenny/
>
> But the postinst script failed. I got very much messages of the kind '[Waiting for headers]' and many packages or package-lists failed to download.
> Only a small portion of the about 30 required X11 packages were downloaded.

Hm. Maybe some server was (temporarily) down? Can you manually do a
apt-get update and see which servers respond?

> Is there anyone with similair experiences?
>
> I would love it to see the BB-OM hybrid software stack beeing kept up to date, but since Nikolaus switched over to the panda board, I don't know about the effort of this...

Well,  we currently have 4 slightly different targets:

* Beagle-ABC-Hybrid
* Beagle-XM-Hybrid
* Panda-Hybrid
* GTA04

All share a lot of things so that it appears not to be wise to run 4 projects.
But run a single one and handle all the subtle differences.

Testing on all these 4 variants is quite time consuming and generally
most work in the last weeks has been done on the GTA04 hardware
and X-Loader and U-Boot. Therefore, the kernel and rootfs development
shows slower progress.

I am still targeting to show a full Linux/Debian running on the GTA04A2 at
FOSDEM next weekend. So I will take a look into that anyway until Friday.

Let's keep fingers crossed that it works...

> The hybrid board is a lovely piece of hardware and I was planning to build some NAS out of it. Sadly the onboard ethernet controller seems not to be supported, so I decided to use an USB-ethernet adapter.

I think support depends on the kernel version and that is the other construction site.

We currently have a 2.6.32-Kernel and did some work on 2.6.37. But we did not have
much success because we did want to directly follow the latest kernel developments
(linux-next) to have a better chance to get things upstream. But I still failed to set up
a process to easily track all their changes. git pull doesn't work well with linux-next.

So if someone very experienced with cutting-edge kernel driver development could
help, that would be nice.