[Gta04-owner] Welcome

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Jan 25 06:41:44 CET 2011

Am 25.01.2011 um 01:07 schrieb Neil Jerram:

> On 24 January 2011 22:03, Michele Brocco <ssj2micvm at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well, it is a replacement for an Openmoko GTA01/GTA02 and
>>> I see "Openmoko.org" as a continuing community project that
>>> was initiated by FIC and Openmoko, Inc. So why not call it the
>>> same as before...
>> I see. I just connected mentally Openmoko to the brand Openmoko Inc.
>
> I agree.  Given that Openmoko continues to exist as a company, but is
> not making the GTA04, I think it would be misleading, on balance, to
> say just "Openmoko GTA04".  Plus:
>
> - the Openmoko guys might not like it, so I think you should check with them

They did hear what we are doing and have not raise objections.

The other aspect is that we currently don't have a complete product.
It is a motherboard replacement *for* an Openmoko GTA02 device.

This may change and then we could think about the names...

> - I think you (Golden Delicious) deserve to have your own name in the title!

There is a strange legal and financial aspect through WEEE... We have to pay
a lot of money to be allowed to import Openmoko mobile phones into the EU.
And unfortunately this is tied to the "Openmoko" brand. If we were to use our
own name (or a different one) we have to pay the same amount in addition.

> Also, should there be a non-technical name, i.e. the next in the
> sequence "1973", "FreeRunner", ...?

There already had been some proposals. The initial working title was
"OpenPhoenux" = "Open Pho(ne) (Lin)ux"... And a Phoenix after
OM, Inc. did stop to continue.

But as said it is not yet a complete device/product. Sort of a high-end
accessory :)