[Gta04-owner] GTA04 capacitor selection

Peter Klassen neo.freerunner at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 24 09:11:52 CET 2011

On 24.01.2011 05:50, Glenn wrote:
> As far as I know, aluminium capacitor have relatively short lifetimes,
> are more error prone - they dry out over time, and in the same proces
> get bigger ESR. I have encountered capacitors in linear power supplies,
> that failed after 1,5 years use.

Hi Glenn
you are right, Al-Caps have a smaller lifetime (ca 10.000h) 1.5 * 360 *
24 = 12 960 but this at the given temperature coefficient (eg 100°C) and
high voltage or current. So if you dont stress your caps, they should
live longer. But sometimes there is no ceramic choice eg voltage vs high
capacitance.
But if there is an alternative, I'm with Glenn :)

Best.