[Gta04-owner] PCB layout

W. B. Kranendonk wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 11:18:28 CET 2011

Hallo Nikolaus,

--- On Wed, 2/16/11, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> Am 16.02.2011 um 10:10 schrieb W. B. Kranendonk:
> > On a sidenote, the new PCB's for the GTA04 were
> > supposed to arrive somewhere this week, were they not? How
> > about them?
>
> I am still working on it...
>
> We have started to do the PCB Layout from scratch because
(...)
> many months ago, we
> did not care much about the TPS65950...
Ai... That has quite some impact!

> But now we have studied it and have decided to really
> optimize everything according
> to these rules. This will also help against potential
> issues like Buzz and other issues (...)
That's what they say: quality improvements early in the life cycle are easier, faster and cheaper to make than after go-live ;-)

> Unfortunately manually routing a 8-layer PCB it is a much
> higher challenge than
> 3D Chess:
Hahah, yes, the samples of 3D chess I saw so far don't count more than 5 layers.

> am working day & night since
> FOSDEM instead of writing status mails :)
> My personal todo-checkist has only 8 (out of originally ca.
> 30) open issues.
Thanks for this one, and good luck with the coffee and such ;-)

> So I think it can be finished this week and then we can
> order the new PCBs and we
> can be very sure that they will work dramatically better.
> Since the layout may also
> influence the efficiency of the power regulators this work
> may also improve operation
> time by some 10%.
That sounds promising! As far as I'm concerned: no need to hurry, my FR is still running (even though I also had liked to see the finished board the day before yesterday rather than yesterday ;-) )

Best regards and keep up the good work!

Boudewijn