[Gta04-owner] PCB layout

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Feb 16 10:52:21 CET 2011

Hi Boudewijn,

Am 16.02.2011 um 10:10 schrieb W. B. Kranendonk:

> --- On Fri, 2/11/11, Christoph Mair <christoph.mair at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 3:30 PM, W. B. Kranendonk
>> <wankelwankel at yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Another thing, apart from discussed RF-interfaces, how
>>> much room would a 433.92MHz transmitter take up? I believe
>>> that frequency is used for those home "automation" remotes.
>> It is on my list for a future FRRFB
>> Whoever wants to take this task, help me or push me towards
>> doing it,
>> is welcome to do so ;-)
>
> Last weekend I apt-got "pcb" and "gsch2pcb", then gave them a test run. I'll have some studying to do before getting any results with it though ;-)
>
> If free time permits  I'll try opening the layouts at http://chonyota.net/freerunner/FRNBv2/ to get an idea what I'm looking at. (Well, actually the free time will permit, it's just that "life" doesn't permit so much free time ;-) I guess it'll be the next weekend)
>
> On a sidenote, the new PCB's for the GTA04 were supposed to arrive somewhere this week, were they not? How about them?

I am still working on it...

We have started to do the PCB Layout from scratch because it turned out that solving
the power supply issue of the GTA04A2 version needs to really, really stick
to the high-power design rules. When we did the A2 layout many months ago, we
did not care much about the TPS65950...

But now we have studied it and have decided to really optimize everything according
to these rules. This will also help against potential issues like Buzz and other issues
(e.g. MMC disturbing the GPS) we all had seen during the GTA02 design. So the new
layout tries to remove the risk of such things (although we don't exactly know before
we check the first boards).

Unfortunately manually routing a 8-layer PCB it is a much higher challenge than
3D Chess:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:StarTrekChess.jpg

It just needs some more days to win.

And, it is a work that can't be parallelized. Therefore I am working day & night since
FOSDEM instead of writing status mails :)

My personal todo-checkist has only 8 (out of originally ca. 30) open issues.

So I think it can be finished this week and then we can order the new PCBs and we
can be very sure that they will work dramatically better. Since the layout may also
influence the efficiency of the power regulators this work may also improve operation
time by some 10%.