[Gta04-owner] GTA04 hardware suggestion and discussions

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Feb 11 17:14:48 CET 2011

Am 11.02.2011 um 15:30 schrieb W. B. Kranendonk:

> --- On Fri, 2/11/11, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>> Am 22.01.2011 um 23:22 schrieb Glenn:
>>> 1) Possibility of IR RC5 receiver/transmitter
>>> 2) Possibility of IRDA transceiver
>> We have had the chance for a last change before
>> the final PCB layout is finished:
>> I have now replaced the previous IrDA transceiver
>> (HSDL3602)
>>
>> FYI: the transmitter is specified for >70cm IrDA and
>>> 9m TV infrared control.
> That's supposed to be < instead of >, isn't it?

Well, that is a matter of view. The data sheet says
>70cm. I think it should be read as "at least" and not
as "up to".

>> ... leaves enough room
>> for future experiments :)
> Hahaha, as if that room would not be there otherwise ;-)

Yes - we have a full adventure playground to start with and
that is just another corner. Hidden treasures are waiting :)

> Another thing, apart from discussed RF-interfaces, how much room would a 433.92MHz transmitter take up? I believe that frequency is used for those home "automation" remotes. Does the included RF tranceiver cover that frequency?

No. The Si47xx are FM stereo/audio receivers with RDS. I think 88 -108 MHz.

433 MHz would need a different radio system. As far as I know there isn't
a "standard" how to modulate the signals and what they mean.

A different option would be to use 868 MHz systems (they need a
smaller antenna).

Since there is real, physical room in the case, it should be possible
to design adapter boards (similar to the Freerunner Navigation Board).
And also for other systems. E.g. a 13 MHz RFID reader and/or tag.

If that becomes available / tested, we can work on a GTA04+ to get
it integrated onto the main board. This is the way we have done with
the Freerunner Navigation Board which shares many of the sensors.

The key issue to think about is that we already have 5 different radio
systems and adding another one adds mutual interferences.