[Gta04-owner] GTA04 hardware suggestion and discussions

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Feb 11 13:01:45 CET 2011

Am 22.01.2011 um 23:22 schrieb Glenn:

> Hi All!
>
> Here are some hardware suggestion for discussion:
>

> 1) Possibility of IR RC5 receiver/transmitter
>

> 2) Possibility of IRDA transceiver

We have had the chance for a last change before
the final PCB layout is finished:

I have now replaced the previous IrDA transceiver (HSDL3602)
module by this one:

	http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0ed1/0900766b80ed1faa.pdf

It is
* smaller (so that it does not collide with the battery compartment)
* directly handles 1.8V logic levels (so we save a level shifter chip TXB0104ZXU)
* still in production (although not in stock with DigiKey but with other distributors)

Programming the SIR / FIR mode is a little more tricky but still simple. We have to
set the TX line to the intended mode first and then switch between RS232 and IrDA.
I am sure this can easily be done by a kernel driver through using the GPIO mode
of the TX line. This line has to be switched from RS232 to IrDA mode anyway.

FYI: the transmitter is specified for >70cm IrDA and >9m TV infrared control.

But this probably assumes a 100% transparent window. Since we have mounted
the module on the backside of the AUX button, it is not clear how much light
will go in/out the button's window. This leaves enough room for future experiments :)