[Gta04-owner] GTA04 in the press

Neil Jerram neiljerram at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 23:31:28 CET 2011

On 2 February 2011 21:40, NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de> wrote:

> where one commenter claims
>
> - -------------------------
> The baseband is apparently an Option-rebranded Qualcomm Gobi device. Which sucks, since Qualcomm is about the most unfriendly when it comes to open-source, especially in the baseband division. [...]

Good grief...  However open a project tries to be, there will always
be someone who prefers to find fault with the corners that remain
closed.  (Note that I'm thinking of the commenter here, not you,
Neil.)

"Do you know, in this so-called 'open' device, it turns out you can't
measure the position of the electrons in the plastic cover without
affecting their quantum state!  How open is that, eh?"

And at the same time, there are thousands of people who prefer to sell
their freedom to Apple and then spend time and energy trying to
illegally jailbreak their phones.  If only a fraction of those had
contributed their energy to the Openmoko platform instead, I imagine
we might have more polished and interesting software by now; and maybe
built up more momentum, possibly leading to components becoming
available with fewer closed interfaces.

I don't really have much of a point here, but it's a shame to see
someone knocking a project that's trying it's absolute best, and is
way more open than anything else out there.

Regards,
          Neil