[Gta04-owner] Sound devices in the GTA04

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Dec 31 09:36:56 CET 2011

Hi Neil,

Am 31.12.2011 um 05:34 schrieb NeilBrown:

> [...]
> those are the labels used in the ALSA device - just remember that '1' is the
> primary (front) pair and '2' is the secondary (back) pair.
>
> Some mixing and amplification happens digitally and then 4 digital signals
> are fed into 4 DACs - DAC1 and DAC2 each with left and right channels - to
> produce analogue signals.  Each of these has a fine-grained and a
> course-grained digital amplifier before the DAC.  So a digital signal goes
> through:
>
> "DACn Digital Fine" then "DACn Digital Coarse" then becomes analogue and
>    goes through "DACn Analog".
>
> Each of these are stereo and with n={1,2} so we have 4 paths.
>
> The hardware allows these 4 paths to be fed from various sources however
> the current driver doesn't support switching and the obvious defaults are
> used.
> The hardware allows the '1' (front) paths to be fed from either 'front' or
> 'back' of the appropriate side, or an L+R mix of either front or back (so 4
> options).
> The '2' (back) paths can be fed from the 'back' of the appropriate side
> or a mix of L+R from the back (so 2 options).
>
> The lack of driver support means that e.g. you cannot send a stereo signal to
> the audio device and have the channels mixed and sent out the single speaker
> of the GTA02 case.  So I'll probably have to fix that short-coming.
>
> The 4 amplified analogue signals are optionally mixed with either the left or
> right input channel (to provide a Voice Side-tone) in the main amplifier
> stage.  These are controlled by the switches
>   "Left1 Analog Loopback", "Right1 Analog Loopback"
>   "Left2 Analog Loopback", "Right2 Analog Loopback".
>
> There is then a 5th analogue amplifier which just takes the Voice Loopback
> (sidetone) signal and amplifies it separately to the digitally provided
> signals.
>
> These 5 signals can be mixed or multiplexed into various output devices:
> (The "hands free" speakers can just select one signal, the other outputs can
> choose a mix of signals).
>
> The "headset" (plugged in to 2.5mm jack) has a Left and a Right.
> Each can receive a mix of
>  Voice,  DAC1,  DAC2
> (where Voice is the side-tone loopback - a single channel - and DAC1 and
> DAC2 are either the Left or Right as appropriate).
>
> Then there are the speakers which is where I get confused again.
> There can be 2 "HandsFree" speakers, and 1 "Ear" speaker - or maybe Earphone.
>
> The HandsFree seem to be the 2 speakers in the GTA01 case, or just the Left
> HandsFree is the single speaker in the GTA02 case.
>
> The gta04 Schematic shows the Ear connections wired to something labelled
> "CASEEAR" (Case Ear) but I cannot see where that appears on the board layout.
> I would assume that this is just a future-expansion port, except that the
> "sound-demo" script provided sets the volume for "Ear" but does not set the

This is the earpiece speaker. It is just two contact points on the PCB and is sitting
in the front cover. So it is not a component to be soldered. Therefore, it is designated
as a part of the case.

> Anyway, the HandsFree speakers can get just one signal selected from
>  Voice DAC1(appropriate side) DAC2-Left DAC2-Right.
>
> These are controlled by the "HandsfreeL Mux" and "HandsfreeR Mux" which can
> be set to one of "Voice", "AudioL1", "AudioL2", "AudioR1", "AudioR2".
>

> and the EAR speaker can get a mix of:
>  Voice, DAC1-left, DAC1-right, or DAC2-left.
> by muting or enabling:
> "Earpiece Mixer AudioL1", "Earpiece Mixer AudioL2"
> "Earpiece Mixer AudioR1", "Voice".
>

> Aside from all this, any one of the 4 (mixed) digital signals can be feed to
> a Pulse-Width-Modulator to drive the VibraMotor by setting "Vibra Mux" and
> some other "Vibra" settings.
>

> So that is how it works in GTA04A3.  I've heard rumours that there is a
> change for the A4 so I'll say something about that...

Yes, the direct voice path has been added. It is important to
tri-state that or it will try to drive the PCM link but the GTM601 is the
master.

So it is a three-way connection between the GTM601, the TPS voice
channel and the McBSP.

> The TWL4030 (aka TPS65950) allows digital connections directly to the GSM
> Modem and the bluetooth controller.  I believe GSM is connected in GTA04A4 -
> don't know about bluetooth.

Bluetooth is not connected directly since it shares the PCM clock with the voice
channel.

> This allows the TWL4030 to be configured (Option 2) to forward audio between
> the mic/speakers or the bluetooth controller  and the GSM Modem.  That way
> the CPU can just set up the audio channels and let the phone call progress
> without being involved - it could even go to sleep to save power.

Yes!

> Also the FM radio *could* be wired to the TWL4030 as the "AUX In" so you
> could listen to the radio without needing the CPU to copy data around.

I am not sure how that could work since the Si4721 has even 6 lines for PCM
(separate lock & frame sync signals).

Unfortunately it is very difficult to do experiments on such a miniaturized
device because you can't easily solder 4 or 6 wires... It needs to produce
a new PCB variant.

> So I'm curious as to why bluetooth and GSM aren't wired directly to the
> TWL4030 in the A3, and exactly what is wired in the A4.   Nikolaus??

The reason is simple: we did not understand what you have described
very well when we designed the A3 board.

> I'd also be happy if someone could clarify what "CASEEAR" is all about.

Ear pice speaker.

> Oh, and "Happy new year" and all that.

Same to you (here in Europe we still have the old year, i.e. we lag
behind :)