[Gta04-owner] GPS fix? Fixed.

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 23:31:50 CET 2011

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net> wrote:
> "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Neil,

>>> Well, that is great news.  I have my GTA04 open now, and I can see where your picture corresponds to the relevant components on my board.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure I could attempt the fix myself though.  Can anyone suggest somewhere in London where I might get help to do this?
>>
>> Unfortunately no. Maybe some electronics department of a university?
>
> [Apologies if this email comes through twice; I had a mistake in my
> email source address.]
>
> Many thanks for offering that.  But it looks like I can now get the fix
> done at my work.  (I didn't even realise my company had this capability,
> but apparently it has an SMD bench, and a few people who have an idea
> how to operate the kit - a very nice surprise!)
>
> I'm planning to do Christoph's fix, i.e. desoldering one side of each of
> the capacitors, and then adding two short wires.  In case there's any
> reason not to do that, please do say.
I would recommend to change the switch chip. You will definitively get
better results. It requires a bit more work and the right tools (I use
a hot air to exchange the chip). Just be careful, the middle pin side
next to the SD card holder is connected to a GND plane which will suck
away all the heat you apply. It takes some time until you can lift the
chip off. Then don't stop heating but place the new chip onto the hot
pads so they will already be soldered when you remove the hot air
tool. Then re-check every solder joint and you should be done.

> While I'm doing that, are there any other hardware mods that I should do
> at the same time?  I don't remember any others being discussed yet, but
> I thought I should double check with you - e.g. in case there's anything
> that you are working but haven't yet announced.
Nothing that I'm aware of.

Best regards.
  Christoph