[Gta04-owner] Developing missing Linux drivers

Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo cascardo at holoscopio.com
Sun Aug 21 14:59:27 CEST 2011

Hello, folks.

I have been watching gta04 development somehow and read the latest news
about its progress. Thanks very much for the project and
congratulations!

I would like to help and saw that you have missing pieces in Linux.
Since I have some expertise developing Linux drivers, I guess I could
help.

I see the most wanted code is the PCM voice path to UMTS modem. I
haven't worked too much with ALSA and don't know many specifics of the
gta04 hardware.

However, since OMAP is a well supported platform in Linux, there is
already support for McBSP. I am not sure that is enough, but I'd bet it
is for the side of the controller. There is, however, the issue of the
codec. I assume, in this case, the UMTS will do the work somehow. Do we
have any public specs on how they are connected and which bus/protocol
they use. Some questions would be: is it simple I2S? Do we have to do
some handshaking through GPIO or a simple switching? Is McBSP connected
to another codec? Is it simply a matter of routing? Do we know what PCM
format UMTS works with? Is it both ways (input and output)?

Meanwhile, we could work with some more simple devices. I have
experience with I2C devices and V4L2 drivers. So, I could help working
on the camera. Where do I get more details about it, what chip it uses,
how they are connected to the SOC, etc.? And is there a git tree for the
patched Linux or is there a single large patch (or a patch series) for a
mainline version? It was based on 2.6.32, right? How is the progress on
porting it to 3.0?

My best regards,
Cascardo.