[Gta04-owner] Status PCBs / Kernel development

Lars-Peter Clausen lars at metafoo.de
Fri Apr 1 21:47:14 CEST 2011

On 04/01/2011 08:03 AM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Am 31.03.2011 um 14:05 schrieb Radek Polak:
>
>> On Thursday 31 March 2011 09:27:00 Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>>
>>> Is someone of you very experienced in that type of work and can help to set
>>> up how to work together and organize all this, so that we finally get to
>>> the goal of a mainstreamed GTA04 kernel?
>>
>> Lars-Peter Clausen seems to be the most competent person for GTA02 kernel
>> development. He actually sent most of GTA02 hardware upstream - you can search
>> vanilla log. He also did awesome work and rewrote/made maintainable patches
>> from andy-tracking mess. I wonder if he is interested in GTA04.
>
> I don't know but I have put him on CC so he may answer if he likes.

I've followed the GTA04 loosely so far and don't have a GTA04 either (yet).

>> Also distro maintainers will probably take care of keeping/backporting patches
>> that they want in their git's. Common repository for all distros does not work
>> well because some distro is concentrating on stable release while others are
>> in experimental stage.
>
> Well, my idea is that we (GTA04 project) should run some authoritative, bleeding
> edge git (connected to HW releases e.g. to fix issues and variants) and distros
> (SHR, QtMoko, ...) can take the unstable or stable versions as they prefer. Or they can
> wait until we have pushed our patches upstream and they can take kernel.org.
>
> I think this is the same way as BeagleBoard and OpenPandora are working.
>
> In the long run, we may get a working kernel (lagging a little behind our own
> developments) into Ubuntu & Debian.
>
> Nikolaus

In my opinion the model used for the current GTA02 kernel development worked
out quite nicely:
* Keep each driver in a separate branch. Have one branch where you merge them
all, which can be used by distros.
* Don't 'track' linus, branch of at stable releases. You don't want the latest
and greatest bugs from -rc1 stalling your development. If you need a certain
patch you can always cherry-pick it.
* Rebase your branches instead of merging, so the changes won't get lost in a
endless commit-tree labyrinth
* Squash fixes into the 'real' patch when rebasing the branch, so you can keep
a small and manageable set of commits/patches.
* Don't necessarily wait until everything is done. If a certain driver is
ready, try to send it upstream.

- Lars