[Tinkerphones] Boxer (was Re: [Gta04-owner] New LetuxOS Kernels and some tricks and thoughts)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon May 27 18:43:39 CEST 2019

On Monday 27. May 2019 15.25.00 Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Wauw!  Probably the first ever review of Boxer :-)

Probably not a fair one, though...

> Yes, I think it is an accurate description.  As for "[not] much of
> immediate use" I believe it stems from being about reusable patterns -
> so if the project at hand cannot benefit from any of the existing
> patterns (in package boxer-data) then it is _more_ work, not less, to
> use Boxer if measured by that one project alone.

I didn't realise (or see) that there was a boxer-data package. Looking at it
again, it does seem like a framework for writing deployment recipes by
defining the nature of nodes (specific systems) in terms of classes (kinds of
systems, described in terms of physical characteristics and other
capabilities).

It seems that the work performed is focused on installing packages, although I
also see that there are "tweaks" which allow shell commands to be used where
packages would presumably need extra configuration. I don't have any real
familiarity with "orchestration" type solutions, but it gives me the same kind
of impression.

I imagine that Boxer would be useful in preparing images to deploy on devices
like those discussed on this list, which I suppose isn't too far off from
things like FreedomBox, presumably the original target of this work.

Paul