[Tinkerphones] [Gta04-owner] New LetuxOS Kernels and some tricks and thoughts

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Mon May 27 15:25:00 CEST 2019

Quoting Paul Boddie (2019-05-27 12:33:53)
> So, in the context of the makesd script...
>
> http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-makesd/
>
> ...I had a look at what kind of tools might also do the same job. The
> tasks makesd appears to do are as follows:
>
>  * Downloads pre-built bootloader, device tree, kernel, modules, root
>    filesystems
>
>  * Partitions a disk according to device expectations
>
>  * Formats filesystems
>
>  * Unpacks or copies the different payloads into their destinations
>
> Not wanting to spend weeks looking at this, I briefly looked at the
> following:

[...]

> Boxer - https://wiki.debian.org/Boxer
>
> Since Jonas is the author and maintainer of the software and Debian
> package, he can correct me on my impressions. This appears to be a
> framework for performing system configuration tasks, maybe even
> deployment, but the Debian source package doesn't seem to contain much
> of immediate use (at least to my eyes).

Wauw!  Probably the first ever review of Boxer :-)

Yes, I think it is an accurate description.  As for "[not] much of
immediate use" I believe it stems from being about reusable patterns -
so if the project at hand cannot benefit from any of the existing
patterns (in package boxer-data) then it is _more_ work, not less, to
use Boxer if measured by that one project alone.

> Meanwhile, I took a closer look at makesd itself. It seems like a very
> capable script but is also rather complicated. Out of curiosity, I
> wanted to see if I could break it up into smaller pieces that are
> easier to inspect and maintain. Consequently, I ended up rewriting
> functionality, investigating some awkward issues with sfdisk, and
> generally spending more time on doing all of this than is perhaps
> worthwhile.
>
> Still, my ongoing efforts can be found here:
>
> https://hg.boddie.org.uk/remakesd
>
> Eventually, I will get round to looking at more substantial things, of
> course.

Quite interesting!

 - Jonas