[Tinkerphones] Letux-OS on RasPi (Zero W) and i.MX8?

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Mar 21 17:53:38 CET 2018

Hi,

> Am 20.03.2018 um 21:34 schrieb Belisko Marek <marek.belisko at gmail.com>:
>
> Hi Nikolaus,
>
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 9:28 PM, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>> Hi Marek,
>>
>>> Am 20.03.2018 um 20:56 schrieb Belisko Marek <marek.belisko at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>> * and be sure that two devices behave the same (if hardware supports) for self-written scripts and tools.
>> I.e. you do not have to take care of 10 different sets of bells and whistles for 10 different SBCs.

>>> i.MX8 using proprietary NXP kernel which some parts some time can hit
>>> mainline
>>
>> but I hope it is open source?
> yes it is but it's heavy patched by nxp so as you wrote a lot of
> patches on top. Also vendor kernel don't use latest kernel they
> support only particular version and that's it so I'm not sure how this
> fir to letux kernel (we're trying to use latest/greatest kernel).

I have found some information that i.MX8 is likely to be supported by 4.17,
so in ca. 4 weeks we can check with the first -rc:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.17-Might-Have-iMX8

One more reason I am bringing this up is that people interested in a PyraPhone
have said they are interested in an i.MX8M CPU board for Pyra/PyraPhone. So it
would be wise to start learning about the kernel...

And it would be nice to have some open schematics reference design to start with.

I have looked around and the WandPi-8M seems to be an interesting candidate, although
I have some doubts if they are still alive (last News from Nov 2017, almost no discussion
in their forum):

https://www.wandboard.org/products/wandpi-8m/

Anyone with an idea about their credibility?