[Tinkerphones] Letux-OS on RasPi (Zero W) and i.MX8?

Belisko Marek marek.belisko at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 20:56:08 CET 2018

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 8:15 PM, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> Hi Josua,
>
>> Am 20.03.2018 um 19:49 schrieb Josua Mayer <josua.mayer97 at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Hi Nikolaus,
>>
>> Am 20.03.2018 um 17:53 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller:
>>> Hi,
>>> what do you think about adding RasPi (Zero/W) and some i.MX8
>>> board (*) to the list of devices supported by Letux OS?
>>>
>>> The benefit would be a uniform Debian based distribution
>>> which runs on all of them. So a single user-space for all.
>> I am not sure what the usecase would be. Maybe running Debian with a newer kernel to support those boards now, rather than in 5 years?
>
> Yes:
> * newer kernel
> * choice of configured systems
> * other GUIs: QtMoko, Replicant, QuantumSTEP
> * additional low-level hardware oriented command line tools
>

>>> Well, it does not come for free... Someone owning and experienced
>>> with such boards should help us to add the right kernel configs
>>> and make the boot loader available for makesd etc.
>> I have a feeling this is going to be difficult for i.mx8, judging from the time it took for the i.mx6 to be properly supported upstream.
>
> Indeed... AFAIK there is no i.MX8 support upstream yet. So it will need some board support package...
i.MX8 using proprietary NXP kernel which some parts some time can hit
mainline (I'm not sure if i.MX7 can boot mainline - we're using at
company kernel from NXP which is 4.1) and I think similar is with
raspberrypi kernels - they use private repo to have best support (even
some support is already present in mainline kernel though).

>> The Pi Zero however is a different story. armv6 *cough* means not single userspace :(
>
> Oops... I didn't know and expect this:
>
> https://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianFAQ#What_is_Raspbian.3F
>
> What is Raspbian?
> Raspbian is an unofficial port of Debian wheezy armhf with compilation settings adjusted to produce code that uses "hardware floating point", the "hard float" ABI and will run on the Raspberry Pi.
> The port is necessary because the official Debian wheezy armhf release is compatible only with versions of the ARM architecture later than the one used on the Raspberry Pi (ARMv7-A CPUs and higher, vs the Raspberry Pi's ARMv6 CPU).
>

>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Nikolaus
>>>
>>> (*) we already have some preliminary support for the i.MX6 based Udoo neo
>
> BR,
> Nikolaus

marek

--