[Tinkerphones] [OHSW.org] FOSDEM 2018 and beyond

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Mon Feb 5 17:54:35 CET 2018

On Mon 05 February 2018 17:28:23 Dorota Czaplejewicz wrote:
> Hello Joerg,
>
> while I cannot speak for the laptop team, in the phone project, we want to
> get the hardware right and we go out of our way to achieve this. It
> complicates matters a lot, because we want to do it the way barely anyone
> else does:
>
> - have a fully functional device without the need for an OS with firmware
> blobs - separate the baseband CPU and system memory, whereas the vast
> majority of mobile devices have them on a single SoC - use kernel as close
> to mainline as possible, with a supported GPU - therefore we chose the i.MX
> series SoC, which is not used in any phones as far as we're aware - we're
> leaning towards the i.MX8, which is not yet released
> - provide hardware kill switches for communication devices
>
> There are no existing hardware designs checking all the above boxes. As a
> result, we are likely to need an entirely new one. That, in turn, means
> that the chance of releasing the hardware schematics is rather high.
>
> Hopefully that lessens your worries!
>
> Cheers,
> Dorota

Hi Dorota!

I must clarify that my statements been about one of the tablets, I didn't know
the phone is based on different approach of workflow. Your points above sound
very good and if you actually can publish hardware docs like schematics etc,
my worries are completely moot, sorry for the rant and many thanks for
clarifying. I'd be highly interested to help on a volunteer or contractual
basis with the hardware side as long as the project goals as sketched by you
above stay valid. Please PM me if you're willing to consider that.

Cheers
jOERG

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign