[Tinkerphones] FOSDEM 2018 and beyond

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Feb 5 09:28:20 CET 2018

Hi rhn,

> Am 04.02.2018 um 23:40 schrieb rhn <opcomali.rhn at porcupinefactory.org>:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 17:01:55 +0100
>
>> Hi all,
>> FOSDEM is over and I am leaving for the airport in 10 minutes :(
>>
>> FOSDEM was an as interesting experience as every time.
>> Many people to meet, many talks, (too) many topics in
>> parallel... You have to decide how to spend time and know
>> in advance that you miss 90% of important things.
>>
>> Unfortunately I didn't notice any talk, booth, presentation,
>> material to mention OpenMoko. Except some people who did remember
>> when we came into talking. But as said I haven't been everywhere :)
>> So if anyone did see something, please share.
>
> OpenMoko was mentioned near the end of FOSDEM at a Birds of Feather phone development event that was organized ad-hoc on Saturday:
>
> https://bobsummerwill.com/2018/02/03/helping-purism-not-to-make-the-same-mistakes/

interesting! I think nobody of our tinkerphones, gta04, Pyra, Replicant developers did know about it.

> It was focused on Purism as the most recent contender to the title of a free software phone, but the conversation was really about other platforms, as you might guess from the post.
>
> There were people present involved with Purism, Jolla, Postmarket OS, Maemo, Mer, but also Fairphone and Plasma Mobile (sorry about those I forgot). Personally, I regret not meeting any people from Pyra, OpenMoko, ZeroPhone or Replicant, but I hope that at FOSDEM was an anomaly and that the community is not splitting in half :)

To me it looks as if the community is already split in half, because the projects you list were "missing" on the list by Bob Summerwill. Well, if there had been a dedicated devroom it might have been very different because we would have known about a meeting opportunity long before.

Another observation is that Bob's initiative seems to focus on mobile software while we are more on the interfaces and down to hardware.

BR and thanks for sharing! Next year... :)