[Tinkerphones] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Librem 5

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Nov 7 15:33:12 CET 2017

Hi Jonas,

> Am 07.11.2017 um 15:10 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard <jonas at jones.dk>:
> Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-11-07 14:47:42)
>> It is less money compared to the budget Purism now has. 2 Mio USD...
>> We just would need to convince them to help to finish the GTA04A5...
>> It would be just 1% for them.
>> Of course we must define what the benefit for Purism would be.
>> Hm. For example, they could go into the annals of open source as the
>> hero who rescued the GTA04A5 project to build on it.
> A possible incentive for Purism might be if GTA04A5 could deliver fast.
> The fate of Librem 5 hangs on multiple (arguably thin) threads, one of
> which being existence of Phone-oriented software for Mainline linux, and
> if geeks had access *soon* to a tinkerphone, that would likely boost
> developer time poured into KDE and GNOME and Enlightenment and other
> efforts in supporting Phone environments.
> Can you try estimate a timeframe of realizing GTA04A5, from the moment
> money is magically no longer an issue?

Let's say 8-12 weeks... It would only depend on finding a time-slot
at the production line. Everything else is available and PCBs have been
produced. So there is no lead time for getting components to stock...

Of course there is risk that production fails again with the modified
stencil. Then I would have no more ideas.