[Tinkerphones] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Librem 5

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Nov 7 14:47:42 CET 2017

Hi Sven,

> Am 06.11.2017 um 18:04 schrieb Sven Dyroff <S.Dyroff at phytec.de>:
> Hello Nikolaus,
> that's indeed really much money.

Well, this is a matter of what you compare to. Yes, it is much money compared to a single, cheap Android thing you buy at a supermarket.
It is much money compared to a gimmick.

It is less money compared to the budget Purism now has. 2 Mio USD...
We just would need to convince them to help to finish the GTA04A5... It would be just 1% for them.

Of course we must define what the benefit for Purism would be.
Hm. For example, they could go into the annals of open source as the hero who rescued the GTA04A5 project to build on it.

And it is really nothing compared to the budgets Google and Apple have. Or how much public money is wasted every day. Or shifted at stock markets.

Anyways we do not have it and have to find/convince someone to spend/donate it.

> But the GTA04 has one very big advantage:

Or this big advantage is also the big problem. The GTA04A5 doesn't promise a dream or challenge. It is already here. How dull and boring ;)

> As far as I can see everything other is currently nothing more than fiction. Let us take the Neo900 for example: I'm still hoping that I'll get one, some day. According to the original schedule it should have been delivered since several years, now. So meanwhile I already would be happy if it will be shipped to me before the according radio networks with which its modem works will be switched off forever due to 5G...

Well, they may plan for a modem module upgrade - which delays it even further.

> I don't expect Librem 5 and others to share a better fate than Neo900. GTA04 has already passed a very long way which all others still need to go. Hopefully Neo900 is still on place second in the run.

They are indeed closer than the Librem 5. There is full schematics for the Neo900 available. They just have not managed to get this from bits to atoms, i.e. make a PCB and get it assembled. For the Librem 5 I am not even sure if the feature set is stable. Maybe they have something beginning of next year.