[Tinkerphones] Status GTA04 Hardware & Software

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Tue Apr 18 00:14:40 CEST 2017

Hi Nikolaus,

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 15:18:55 +0200

> Hi Andreas,
>
> > Am 14.04.2017 um 23:54 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
> >
> > On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 19:18:13 +0200
> > "H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> let me give a short status update:
> >>
> > [...]
> >>
> >> * NAND image: is Debian 8.7 (Jessie) + LXDE. This is
> >> more a demo and hardware test than a useable device
> >> GUI. It is neither finger compatible nor does it have
> >> many functions. Running GPS-Demo, Camera-Demo and
> >> SimpleGSM-HUI seems to be not reliable and after
> >> booting a nasty "PID not found" message pops up.
> >> The last one is related to LXDE. I even tried with
> >> an experimental Stretch system but the error remains.
> >> Maybe, some LXDE component is misconfigured.
> >>
> > Last image I looked at:
> > HOME is not properly set due to the way X is started.
> > maybe simply use nodm package and not use startx directly from inittab.
>
> nodm has been added recently [1] but I didn't notice that it makes
> any difference.
>

> > HOME not set gives a mess and some programs will certainly misbehave.
> > simple-gsmgui expects the rfkill block/unblock be done externally.
> > Maybe simply adding these as desktop icons, too?
>
> Ah, good idea. Didn't know.

It properly reacts on unblock/block (like closing/opening the tty)
but just does not do the rfkill itself.

> > There were two .desktop files. One from the deb package and one
> > added by you.
>
> Those should be symlinks [2] so that they appear as an icon on the
> desktop and not only in the menu.

Hmm. seems to be corrected. I checked it last time you asked for makesd
tests and there were even two entries in the menu.

> > It should be started via start-gsmgui.sh (what is done like that
> > in the .desktop file in the .deb package)
> >
> > BTW: AFAICR installing e17 / illume was just a matter of
> > apt-get install e17. That has a more touchscreen-friendly surface.
>
> Interesting idea. I didn't know that it still exists. Isn't mentioned
> often.
>
> I would like to read reports how well it works on the GTA04. If it
> does well, we can add another option for makesd to create a rootfs
> configured for e17.

I had it in nand of the gta04a4 until i tested makesd. I do not know
any major problems. The only reason why I do not use it so much is that
it is not that "hackable" like fbpanel (or I do not know how to).

What I do not know is the state of shr (which was once run on top of
e17). But e17 alone should be already better then lxde.

Regards,
Andreas