[Tinkerphones] GTA04A5 and News from the Kernel

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Oct 27 22:24:20 CEST 2016

Cutting the GTA04 list because it isn't directly relevant, although I'm not
really sure of the relevance here anyway...

On Thursday 27. October 2016 19.43.27 H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Now back to the topic of FLOSS. This driver is of
> course free. But it will need / load firmware binaries
> into the GPU part of the SoC. These binaries are
> on one hand some "microkernel" running on the SGX
> GPU and the ARM libraries for OpenGL etc.

It was interesting to finally get hold of a programming manual for a
completely different SoC - the Ingenic JZ4780 - which is also burdened with a
PowerVR implementation (SGX540). Unfortunately, there are no details of how
the 3D functionality of the GPU is accessed, in contrast to all the register
descriptions for that SoC's 2D functionality (X2D).

Given what was said about the Broadcom SoC used in the Raspberry Pi, the
claims of "fully free" drivers and yet the continued presence of a non-free
microkernel, I can easily imagine the SGX functionality being rather similarly
structured, regardless of the larger SoC being ARM-based (like the DM3730) or
MIPS-based (like the JZ4780).

> So thats it for today. And I hope I can bring some
> news about the GTA04A5 tomorrow.

I hope it will be good news!

Paul

P.S. You mentioned another phone concept on the list a while back that was to
use one of the AM series of TI SoCs. Are there any more details on this yet?