[Tinkerphones] Fwd: Ten years anniversary of Openmoko

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Nov 28 18:20:40 CET 2016

Wow,
is it really 10 years?

> Von: Belisko Marek <marek.belisko at gmail.com>
>
> http://laforge.gnumonks.org/blog/20160920-openmoko_10years/

yes it is 10 years!

The first time I heard about Openmoko was through an invitation
to some telecoms conference in London where there was an
N.N. person presenting a talk about some exciting new
mobile phone.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend this conference.

It turned out that it was the announcement of the Openmoko
GTA01 by Sean Moss-Pultz.

And this was just weeks before Apple announced the first
iPhone in January 2007.

Back then Openmoko project was welcome by the press and found
quite some coverage:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/10/technology/personaltech/10phone.html

Sinc eit is really 10 years, let's celebrate this also with our
www.ohsw.org event in less than 2 weeks in Garching near Munich :)

And let's try even harder to disprove Harald's statement:

"We're stuck with a smartphone world in which we can hardly escape any vendor lock-in. It's virtually impossible in the non-free-software iPhone world, and it's difficult in the Android world. In 2016, we have more Linux based smartphones than ever - yet we have less freedom on them than ever before."

Projects like Replicant, Pyra, Neo900, GTA04A5 are still
inhabitants of the small Gaulish village teasing the Roman
empire :)