[Community] [Gta04-owner] Report on QtMoko

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Jun 15 15:10:08 CEST 2016

Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2016-06-15 14:10:34)
> Am 15.06.2016 um 13:48 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk>:
>> Quoting Josua Mayer (2016-06-15 13:07:56)

>> APT does not support http 301/302 redirection,
>
> Hm. That is bad luck ...
>
>> so if branding is important,
>
> yes I think it is important. Small plants need a well defined home to
> keep all parts together.
>
> if we have a qtmoko.net home page downloads should come from the same
> domain (until they are some day part of ftp.debian.org).
>
>> then either services need to be established at your own hosts or
>> "forwarding" means entries in domain name system.
>
> Well, I can create a subdomain debian.qtmoko.net and direct it to
> whatever IP address the server is sitting on.
>
> At least in theory.
>
> In practice the qtmoko domains are hosted in a package that does not
> allow subdomains - but it can (an IMHO should) be changed (by paying
> some one-time transfer fee...).

Why qtmoko.net?  Is this specific to qtmoko packages?

I suggest to setup a) deb.goldelico.com now, and consider working
towards b) deb.openphoenux.org when the community controls its domains
and machines (not Golden Delicious, but perhaps sponsored by them).

>> Most elegant setup involves root access (involves juggling low-port
>> services, cron jobs, and installation of tools).  Can I be granted
>> root on your server
>
> No. There are other confidential projects running on the same server.
> This is why I thought to run it on a different server and just
> redirect the domain.

I am happy for that response - it means you care about security :-D

>> to set it up, or do I need to proxy all changes through someone else
>> (read: more bothersome)?
>
> Well, that might still be easier than all other setups.

Well, it sure is easier for me: I will then simply suggest you to follow
this: https://wiki.debian.org/SettingUpSignedAptRepositoryWithReprepro

When done (and you are not exhausted by then), I can try isolate and
explain details I did differently for my https://deb.jones.dk/

 - Jonas