[Tinkerphones] Status GTA04A5 and miscellaneous

Pavel Borecki pavel.borecki at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 12:21:39 CEST 2016

Hi,
thanks for update :)H. Nikolaus Schaller píše v Út 26. 07. 2016 v 11:20 +0200:
> Hi,
> there isn't much to report at the moment about the GTA04A5.
>
> We are still waiting for all components to arrive and the PCBs
> to be produced. Let's hope that no news is good news and
> cross fingers that it happens soon.
>
> On the software side we have published letux kernel 4.7.0:
>
> 	http://download.goldelico.com/letux-kernel/letux-4.7/
>
> It fixes the hdq driver so that we can again read the fuel gauge and
> battery state of charge. This is essential to be able to measure
> suspend current.
>
> Unfortunately we are still struggling with the charging system.
>
> The symptoms are quite puzzling. On some devices charging
> seems to work. While on others it simply fails, does not recognize
> cable insertion/unplugging and the ethernet gadget fails as well.
>
> But installing our letux 4.3 kernel on the same SD card and rebooting
> makes it work.
>
> What the real mystery is: there is no significant code difference in
> the charger driver between 4.3 and 4.4-rc (where it fails for the
> first time). So the difference lies somewhere outside the charger
> driver but we have not yet found where.

What about new camera module - what are results of its tests? I'm
waiting with order to order board and camera module together at once
(due money transfer fees).

> What else can I report?
>
> There was some discussion about a magnetic usb socket for the
> GTA04 so that you can no longer pull the GTA04 from the table
> through the USB cable and break the USB socket inside the GTA04.
>
> For Micro-USB you can go shopping and find solutions, but not
> for Mini-USB.
>
> Therefore I have started to build a prototype for such a thing and
> let's hope it works. Then we can build a handful of them (they also
> work on GTA01/GTA02 and most Mini-USB devices). It consists
> of two PCBs, one with a Mini-USB-Plug and pogo pins and the
> other with contact pads and a Mini-USB-Socket. Both will be plugged
> together with small magnets glued to the PCB.
Well, another item to my order, eventually (cheaper than repairs of USB
port - n900 owners could tell...)

> As a bonus I have also designed such an adaptor for USB3. Let's
> see if that works as well...
It would be usefull for Pyra handheld too :)

> And another thing is in works: a tiny AM3358 based breakout
> board which has the potential to become the core of a new low-end
> tinkerphone... Or just a simple I/O controller (I2C, SPI, USB) with
> full
> Letux inside.

How would posibly resulting phone compare with gta04a5, please?