[Tinkerphones] ***UNCHECKED*** RE: Some questions about GTA04 and Neo900

roy jackson roy.r.jackson at outlook.com
Tue Jul 26 05:23:07 CEST 2016

Hi,

> As long as you find source code that works on a BeagleBoard (XM)
> it appears to be a not that difficult task to adjust and add drivers for
> peripherals not supported by the BeagleBoard (mainly display, touch,
> i2c based sensors, audio). But if you have to port a kernel to the
> processor first, it is a real challenge...

Not really ...

 * https://wiki.freebsd.org/BeagleBoard

btw

 * http://blog.khubla.com/freebsd/building-a-beaglebone-freebsd-kernel

The "hard thing" is the display, but ncurses(3) suits well for my
"purposes" in context of present developement activities.

Sooner or later, I'll start experimenting with the frame buffer
in cotext of virtual terminal device vt(4) ... :)

 * https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=vt&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+10.3-RELEASE+and+Ports

> The list of sensors of the GTA04 is included in the manual:
> http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/page/Manual/
>
> There will be an update for the GTA04A5 board (some
> sensors and i2c addresses have changed).

Fantastic! This is it what I've searched for.

Thank you for the (hard) work compiling this
outstanding manual!

>> Are all integrated HW sensors deployed with same kind
>> of controlling MC?
>>

>> Exists a listing about ioctl(2) primitives which are accepted
>> by WH sensors controlling MC?
>
> On Linux sensors are more and more controlled by the iio
> framework which allows to either read them (inefficiently) as
> text files through /sys (usually /sys/class/iio). Or by opening
> a file that presents a stream of iio data records.

Ahhh... I've understood. The Interfaces against HW Sensors
areimplemented (top-half) as character devices (bottom-half)
throught "ioo" Kernel Progarmmers Interface (KPI)?

I've planned to implement an interface against HW sensors by
utilizing OpenBSD HW Sensors Framework (is ported to FreeBSD)
for this purpose.

* https://www.openbsd.org/papers/asiabsdcon2009-sensors-paper.pdf

> Hope that this helps a little, even if it is less than 50% answered :)

Thank you! This helps me a lot in multiple ways! :)

How I can order the GTA04A5 board (for developement purposes)?

BR,
Roy