[Tinkerphones] Some questions about GTA04 and Neo900

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jul 25 20:18:24 CEST 2016

Hi,
I can answer a little for the GTA04.

> Am 25.07.2016 um 20:05 schrieb roy jackson <roy.r.jackson at outlook.com>:
>
> Hi there,
>
> fortunately I've ran accross with the Neo900 phone and its predecessor.
>
> This project is great work! Thank you!

welcome to the list!

> I've read
>
> * http://neo900.org/specs
>
> and
>
> * http://neo900.org/resources
>
> partially.
>
> I'm planning to purchase either a GTA04 or a Neo900.
>
> But finally, there are some open questions about installing
> operating systems which are not based on so called Linux
> Kernel, e g. FreeBSD, QNX, ...  .

As long as you find source code that works on a BeagleBoard (XM)
it appears to be a not that difficult task to adjust and add drivers for
peripherals not supported by the BeagleBoard (mainly display, touch,
i2c based sensors, audio). But if you have to port a kernel to the
processor first, it is a real challenge...

> Exists a listing about HW sensors (e. g. monitoring antenna, ...)
> which are integrated on both devices?

The list of sensors of the GTA04 is included in the manual:
http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/page/Manual/

There will be an update for the GTA04A5 board (some
sensors and i2c addresses have changed).

Note that the GTA04 has no specific antenna monitors.
It relies on sensing total power consumption which is quite
inaccurate...

> Are all integrated HW sensors deployed with same kind
> of controlling MC?
>

> Exists a listing about ioctl(2) primitives which are accepted
> by WH sensors controlling MC?

On Linux sensors are more and more controlled by the iio
framework which allows to either read them (inefficiently) as
text files through /sys (usually /sys/class/iio). Or by opening
a file that presents a stream of iio data records.

Hope that this helps a little, even if it is less than 50% answered :)