[Tinkerphones] Tinkerphones...

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Thu Jul 14 00:18:23 CEST 2016

On Thu, 7 Jul 2016 08:25:41 +0200, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> So I still dream of a device that is modern enough and
> can be owned and operated as long as I like and get
> software updates for a very long time. It is also supported
> well enough so that I can even try to repair something.

I like this idea very much. I'm fairly conservative about what it should
be able to do. I don't need it to run fancy "apps" or games. I would like
to be able to add my own software to it.

> And, I would like to see a uniform user interface across
> all portable devices, desktop devices and even web
> access.

I'm less interested in this. I just think it's a massive failure of all
the established players that they haven't already achieved this.

> What are your motivations and dreams and thoughts?

I want to use something that runs code that was developed in the open by
people I can trust. I use an Android phone these days and it annoys me that
the software on there is effectively a black box. There's no simple way to
verify it's running the software it claims to be running. It's a step back
from the environments I use on other devices.

I started learning about Android to widen my range of skills, and the more
I learn about it the less impressed I am with it. I wrote a little about it
here:

http://www.boddie.org.uk/david/www-repo/Personal/Updates/2016/2016-06-21.html

Sure, Android provides a load of APIs but it looks like they were sort of
broken or incomplete at the start, and each new revision tries to fix them
while probably also being broken or incomplete. It's obscene that you need a
GPU to run a mobile OS, and that you are expected to use a huge toolchain/SDK
to develop for it. Forget about rebuilding the OS from scratch!

It's good to see attention paid to QtMoko again. Qtopia showed a lot of
promise and it didn't deserve to be commercially buried the way it was.

David