[Tinkerphones] Tinkerphones...

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Fri Jul 8 09:53:55 CEST 2016

On Thursday 07 of July 2016 20:54:59 Adrien Dorsaz wrote:
> Currently I'm using a Samsung Galaxy SIII. I would like to use my GTA04
> as
> before, but it has again an issue with the USB port.
>
> This time, when I plug the cable of the OpenMoko charger, nothing
> happens.
> Before my USB port was moving and my local electronic shop was able to
> solder it again. Unfortunately, this time the USB port doesn't move, so
> I'm not
> sure if it is an issue on hardware or software.

I bought magnetic reduction for my N900's micro usb port. Works perfectly,
no worries about breaking USB anymore.

http://www.wsken.net/productsinfo.asp?id=30

I am wondering why those shitty USB connectors still exist while there is so
nice solution (magnetic connector). The answer is probably to make
manufacturers happy: more broken connectors => more sold phones.

> I dream about the GTA04A5 (which had a fix for the USB port) runing
> QtMoko and a more recent web browser :)

It looks that QtWebkit is not very good. Maybe Qt5 version is better. IIRC
jolla has browser based on gecko and qt - it works quite nice.

> The icing on the cake will be to have a screen more readable at sun
> light.

I would trade color LCD display for e-ink. Maybe someone with yota phone
could comment if e-ink is enough for dayily use (reading SMS, calls,
browsing and maps).

BR

Radek