[Community] New cell phone design wanted?

Adam Van Ymeren adam.vany at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 22:33:47 CET 2016

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 1:29 PM, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote
> Hi,
>
> Am 04.01.2016 um 19:03 schrieb Dr. Michael Lauer <mickey at vanille.de>:
>

>>> Am 04.01.2016 um 16:51 schrieb Adam Van Ymeren <adam.vany at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> This doesn't excite me at all to be honest.
>>>
>>> We already have the Neo900.  What's the difference between the phone
>>> you're proposing and any other flagship phone out there like the Nexus
>>> 6p.  You said you won't release the PCB, and it's got a proprietary
>>> Maui GPU.  So already I can't run it with only free software, and if
>>> you don't release the PCB, I can't be confident that the cell modem is
>>> actually switched off when I ask it to be and doesn't have DMA to the
>>> system RAM.
>>>
>>> I'm much more interested in a so called "low end" phone.
>>
>> ACK.
>>
>> And honestly I think this is a niche where OSS on mobile still can flourish –
>> IMO in the high end area the game is over.
>
> I disagree. At least if software is addressed. Is the game for OSS and Linux
> on the PC over? Was it ever over?
>
> IMHO, we only have problems getting reasonably open high-end hardware
> to make OSS flourish. Which is what this discussion is trying to address.
>
> But in addition there is apparently a need for a low-end device. So should
> it end up in two designs? Ideally compatible to a big extent so that there is
> no need for two complete software stacks which needs two teams of
> volunteers...

I'm not sure it's so much that we need two designs for "low-end" and
"high-end".  Better specs are always nicer, but I think the most
important thing is that each successive design that comes out of this
community should be more free than the last one.

A design that uses a GPU requiring blobs and doesn't release the PCB
layout is a step backwards and not something that would interest me
and I wouldn't support such a project since I feel it harms the
progress that the GTA04 has made.