[Community] [Gta04-owner] QtMoko Input Methods (Was: OpenPhoenux Letux/GTA04 Kernel- and Userspace-Hacking weekend)

Xavi Drudis Ferran xdrudis at tinet.cat
Mon Apr 25 22:10:41 CEST 2016

El Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 09:46:21PM +0200, Josua Mayer deia:
> It appears to me that QtMoko was using the inputmethod functionality
> provided by QT and just implemented the onscreen keyboard on top. Check the
> code for it below:
> https://github.com/radekp/qtmoko/tree/master/src/plugins/inputmethods/fingerkeyboard
>
> So the current abstraction is InputMethod. And that should be operative no
> matter which window-system QT was built for.

Yes, but I'm a bit lost. Didn't you want something you could use without Qt ?
Or I misunderstood ? I'm not sure I know what the goal is now.

In fact I think QWSInputMethod is specific to Qt-Embedded in particular.
I think (but haven't looked) it is not in Qt for X11, for example.

http://doc.qt.io/qt-4.8/qwsinputmethod.html

I mean when you said:

El Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 11:54:19AM +0200, H. Nikolaus Schaller deia:

> But I have no idea if the on-screen keyboard can be rewritten in a
>way that it works with all other GUI applications (not necessarily Qt
>based!). You would get a problem if you have network-manager and
>can't type IP addresses... So this might be a big challenge (who
>doesn't love challenges?).

I thought you mean to take the logic in the qtmoko keyboard and
change the inputmethod for some other more widely available keyboard
abstraction.