[Community] [Gta04-owner] OpenPhoenux Letux/GTA04 Kernel- and Userspace-Hacking weekend

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Apr 25 17:01:03 CEST 2016

Hi,

> Am 25.04.2016 um 16:53 schrieb Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net>:
>
> On 25/04/16 04:54, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Am 21.04.2016 um 18:40 schrieb Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net>:
>>>
>>> Also BTW I believe there is lots of QtMoko NIH-ware that is now obsoleted by better components in general Linux.  For example, connman or network-manager instead of QtMoko's own networking management, and offlineimap or mbsync instead of QtMoko's own IMAP mailstore.
>> Well, in my experience such existing tools are rarely optimized for touch and finger operation on small vertical screens. So we either have to tweak them or write something new. Or port something old.
>>
>> That is IMHO a strong point of QtMoko: that it is more or less self-contained for the basic operation without the need to harmonize GUI operation between tools written with Desktop in mind.
>>
>> But I agree that it should interwork with other apps from the standard Debian repositories.
>>
>>>  The interesting parts of QtMoko for me are its UI, such as its launcher, phone and SMS UIs, and its on-screen keyboard.
>> Rewriting launcher, phone and SMS UI should be not impossible tasks.
>
> It sounds like you've got my point exactly the wrong way round :-)

Well...

> The QtMoko components that I think are _obsolete_ are the infrastructure parts that do not have GUIs.  (Or that are primarily non-GUI.)  So clearly we should be able to replace those without any significant GUI concerns such as touch operation.

I am under the impression (which may be wrong) that QtMoko is already almost a GUI frontend for many internal processes (those w/o GUI) and isn't providing may of its own daemons and solutions for behind the scene tasks - except those essential to e.g. make the device ring or vibrate on incoming call.

> The parts of QtMoko that I think we should _keep_ are precisely the GUI parts, because these are well designed and optimized for touch operation.

Ok, the we agreee in what the result should look like :)