[Community] [Gta04-owner] OpenPhoenux Letux/GTA04 Kernel- and Userspace-Hacking weekend

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Mon Apr 25 16:53:26 CEST 2016

>> Am 21.04.2016 um 18:40 schrieb Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net>:
>>
>> Also BTW I believe there is lots of QtMoko NIH-ware that is now obsoleted by better components in general Linux.  For example, connman or network-manager instead of QtMoko's own networking management, and offlineimap or mbsync instead of QtMoko's own IMAP mailstore.
> Well, in my experience such existing tools are rarely optimized for touch and finger operation on small vertical screens. So we either have to tweak them or write something new. Or port something old.
>
> That is IMHO a strong point of QtMoko: that it is more or less self-contained for the basic operation without the need to harmonize GUI operation between tools written with Desktop in mind.
>
> But I agree that it should interwork with other apps from the standard Debian repositories.
>
>>   The interesting parts of QtMoko for me are its UI, such as its launcher, phone and SMS UIs, and its on-screen keyboard.
> Rewriting launcher, phone and SMS UI should be not impossible tasks.

It sounds like you've got my point exactly the wrong way round :-)

The QtMoko components that I think are _obsolete_ are the infrastructure
parts that do not have GUIs.  (Or that are primarily non-GUI.)  So
clearly we should be able to replace those without any significant GUI
concerns such as touch operation.

The parts of QtMoko that I think we should _keep_ are precisely the GUI
parts, because these are well designed and optimized for touch operation.

Regards,
     Neil