[Community] [Gta04-owner] OpenPhoenux Letux/GTA04 Kernel- and Userspace-Hacking weekend

rhn omcomali.rhn at porcupinefactory.org
Mon Apr 25 13:55:23 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 13:19:58 +0200

> Hi Xavi,
>
> > Am 25.04.2016 um 13:09 schrieb Xavi Drudis Ferran <xdrudis at tinet.cat>:
> >
> > El Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 11:54:19AM +0200, H. Nikolaus Schaller deia:
> >>
> >> But I have no idea if the on-screen keyboard can be rewritten in a way that it works with all other GUI applications (not necessarily Qt based!). You would get a problem if you have network-manager and can't type IP addresses... So this might be a big challenge (who doesn't love challenges?).
> >>

> > I don't really know. But I took a look at the qtmoko keyboard a year
> > or two ago (I hardly remember any detail) and got the impression that
> > not as it is. But then I don't know anything that could do that. In X
> > it is easier, I think. But without X what is the abstraction for a
> > keyboard this application should plug into ?
>
> Good question.
>
> > Should there have to be a
> > keyboard driver in the kernel or something? Should it pass as a tty ?
>
> That would be an interesting approach. Or we use a pty (or mkfifo) and
> symlinks to present a virtual /dev/event node where the keyboard process
> can write to...
>
> But I am not sure if X11 will find it because it likely scans /sys for input
> devices and not /dev.

I played with the input subsystem several times in the past and I can confirm that it's possible to create such a virtual device and get it picked up by X.

This is what xboxdrv [0] does, for example, and it can be done using uinput [1] in an easy way. Python bindings [2] are good for experimentation.

Cheers,
rhn

[0] https://github.com/xboxdrv/xboxdrv
[1] http://thiemonge.org/getting-started-with-uinput