[Community] About cost and business models for community hardware

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Tue Sep 15 22:32:50 CEST 2015

Hi Nikolaus!

I've been wondering about writing something along these lines, and your
enquiry has provided the required activation energy!

> So what is your opinion?

As a potential purchaser, who has already been around for two cycles of
this journey (i.e. GTA02 and GTA04), my current feeling is that for real
(eventual) success there needs to be a solid plan that goes beyond just
hardware.  In addition to all the hardware work, which I assume
Goldelico would propose to do, someone needs to undertake to provide and
guarantee a minimal level of working software, which I think should mean:

- complete and upstreamed Linux kernel support, for all hardware
- demonstration of an acceptably low battery current in suspend
- demonstration of stable modem usage, for calls and data (at least 3G)
- demonstration of reliably acceptable audio quality in voice calls
- demonstration of stable wifi that reaches spec'd bandwidth and still
uses acceptable current.

Whoever takes that on, the plan also needs to include an understanding
that they and Goldelico will work together as needed to achieve those
things, through a combination of whatever SW and HW work is needed.

That would be a plan that I could support again.  I don't think I would
support a new hardware-only plan - even if I do still have fun playing
with my GTA04 from time to time.

> Should our projects be “profitable” or more be a “charity” based on volunteer work?

If the plan is right - i.e. as above - I am absolutely happy for you to
plan for it to be profitable for you.

Regards,
     Neil