[Community] GTA04A5 RAM + NAND size

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Nov 28 20:08:01 CET 2015

Hi Pavel,

Am 27.11.2015 um 19:50 schrieb Pavel Borecki <pavel.borecki at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> will GTA04A5 have 512 MB or 1GB of RAM?
> In shop, there is 512 MB stated, but on order tracking, there is a
> message:
>
> "3. good news: we participated in the risk buy of Samsung 1GB RAM+512MB
> NAND chips (as planned for the Neo900). So you will get 1 GB RAM and
> faster NAND! Twice as much RAM as the GTA04A4 has. It has already been
> tested by reworking a BeagleBoard XM and modifying the OS."
>
> So, what amount of RAM will be soldered as PoP package?

Thanks for asking! This is one of the things I forgot to mention.

It is also something I am not really sure about yet, but we must decide in the next
couple of days. Chips of both types are available to us so we simply can choose
and have no sourcing problems.

The first issue is that the PoP RAMs with 1GB+512MB have only been tested on
a BB-XM yet. Not on a real GTA04 board. And we have no complete boot system
for it in our software setup. Just some partially manual tests have been done
(e.g write NAND, read back). This means we can't test the boards right after production
because we have no known good µSD card image, because that needs a GTA04
to develop and test the µSD card image first...

A second issue is that we can use OneNAND only with a more recent U-Boot than
we currently have. But this means porting our special U-Boot extensions to a
newer U-Boot and test and get it working first.

This isn't that easy as it looks because we have some 2009 U-Boot as the basis
and the latest is 2015.10 :) Bridging upstream developments of >5 years is a big
project. And the boot-loader should be rock solid. The old one is - except for
supporting the OneNAND of the 1G+512MB chips.

In other words: with 512MB+1GB this is not a risk area at all (because half of
the GTA04A4 boards have this configuration and run w/o any problems).

The 1GB + 512MB increases the project risks.

Another (probably easier to solve) issue for the 1GB + 512MB is that we want
to provide some default Linux+Debian+LXDE (or something else) in NAND for
all GTA04A5 boards we ship. So that you have something to boot into before
partitioning and even buying any µSD card.

Unfortunately we have not yet managed to squeeze Wheezy nor Jessie images
so that they fit into ~450 MB. They end up with ~800 MB.

Therefore they would easily fit into the 512MB + 1GB chips, but not in the 1GB + 512MB.

If someone has an idea how to strip it better down than this script, please let
me know:

<http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-rootfs.git;a=blob;f=config/root/flash-nand;hb=refs/heads/master>

(this script already strips unneeded kernel modules and most debian caches).

So we have to trade off between risk and having a working system installed
when you want to test your motherboard exchange results.

I guess everyone has his/her own preferences so that I would like to learn a little
about your opinions before we decide.

BR and thanks,
Nikolaus