[Community] gta04/gta02 stuff available

Benjamin Deering ben_deering at jeepingben.net
Fri Nov 20 00:56:29 CET 2015

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 14:52:47 -0800
Andrew Schenck <andrew at springahead.com> wrote:

> On 11/18/2015 2:51 PM, Benjamin Deering wrote:
> > Things have been very quiet on this list until today.
> >
> > The buzz about neo900 gave me a chance to think about all I learned
> > from working on GTA02 and GTA04.  My GTA04 has been collecting dust
> > for quite a while now and I would like to make it available if
> > someone in the USA would like to offer cash, or a plan to
> > contribute to the community (or some combination), I would ship it
> > to them.
> >
> > I also have several new-in-bag GTA02 batteries available for
> > shipment in the USA and a GTA02 debug board.  I had been hoping to
> > recover the shipping costs of my 2 batteries by selling the other
> > batteries, but I am prepared to sell at a small loss if needed.
> I had been considering buying some of those from you since shipping
> from EU is so expensive and my batteries are wearing out.  I had four
> at one point, but lost one and another one stopped accepting a charge
> some six months ago.  The last two seem to be wearing out too.  I got
> a Nokia BL-6C described in the wiki
> (http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Battery_Questions_and_Answers#Hardware_capabilities)
> and it "works" but it boots much slower and I haven't figured out the
> modprobe switching to get it to report capacity yet.
> >
> > My GTA04 has a little hardware damage - the usb port was broken off
> > shortly after I got it (my fault).  With some remote help from
> > Nicolas I was able to fix it.  My repair has lasted through years
> > of rough service so I don't think it will be a problem. The red
> > power led was damaged during this accident and was stuck on.  I
> > have removed it.
> I believe this exact same thing happened to the GTA04 I purchased
> from Orest Tarasiuk on this list, the port was working for maybe a
> month after I received it, but broke off along with the gps antenna
> port and now I have to carry a spare battery around all the time and
> charge with my GTA02.  This makes it pretty difficult but I still
> manage to use it as my daily driver.

Mine was catastrophic.  The phone was flung across the room while
plugged in.  Several very fiddly days with the soldering iron were
required for me to repair it.  Any phone with the mini-B connector
would have broken from that.  I added some epoxy (jbweld) to provide
mechanical support and has survived in my pocket for several outdoor
adventures, falls when skiing, etc.
> > This GTA04 went back to goldelico for reflow since it was one of the
> > early GTA04A4s that was made before they changed the solder process.
> > After the reflow, gps and wifi have been reliable.
> >
> > The GTA04 has a camera and my software install includes an SHR
> > desktop shortcut that brings up a camera view, then saves a photo
> > after the user touches the screen.  That is, it behaves almost like
> > a modern phone, just slower.  This all hinges on an ugly kernel
> > change that I shared a few years ago (hard coding colorspace if I
> > remember correctly).
> This is very interesting to me, I don't need a really great camera
> but it would be nice to have something.  My OS of choice is QtMoko
> though, really didn't like SHR when I tried it on the GTA02, but I
> might be willing to switch if it enables the camera.  Are you able to
> send / receive MMS messages as well?  I believe QtMoko should be
> capable but I haven't gotten it to work yet.

I powered up the phone last night and realized that I had replaced my
mplayer based script with cheese - a gnome based camera program.
Without accelerated graphics, it gets ~1fps in preview,but is able to
take pictures. I may have had to hard-code the camera rotation in the
cheese source code.

I also appear to have installed chromium browser at some point
(probably from arch).

All of my gta04 development stuff is on an external drive so I can't
find exactly what I did right now. If there is something you want to
know about that can't be found in the list archive, let me know.

> > I think I have shared all the hacks on the phone with the list at
> > some point.  It has my altimeter and ski-wax apps installed as well
> > as a shooter gyroscope game.  The phone would ship with my image
> > (SHR).
> >
> > If you are interested, please PM me, or feel free to start a
> > discussion on the list about what would be a good use for it.
> >
> > I would also consider parting with my GTA02 + MLX90614 thermometer +
> > BMP085 if someone has a really cool project.
> >
> > So, Americans, what can you do with these items?
> I would really like a more reliable device that respects my freedom
> to use as a daily driver.  I've been following Neo900 for this
> purpose but I haven't committed yet because 1140EUR => $1222 USD is a
> lot of cash (though that's actually a much lower number than other
> times I've checked).  Actually I've just put in my order, so if I can
> figure out how to do the bank wire I'll be on the hook for a Neo900
> instead.

I have switched to hardware from a manufacturer who probably doesn't
respect my freedom, but can't be bothered to restrict it
so the device is completely unlocked and is running software I built
from source except for some driver blobs. I suspect that I would be
able to easilly reverse engineer the I2C bus if I wanted to add
sensors, but realistically I would add sensors by building a
free-standing bluetooth device.