[Community] Will Neo900 ship before the end of this year?

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Nov 18 18:43:35 CET 2015

Am 18.11.2015 um 17:50 schrieb Ryan de Laplante (Personal) <ryan at ryandelaplante.ca>:

>>> Has PayPal explained exactly why they will not release the money and what needs to be done to remedy the problem?  If not, consider issuing refunds just to people who's money has not been spent yet. They can send payment another way such as a checque in the mail.
>>
>> The last status I know about this topic is this:
>>
>> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95482&page=11
>
> Thanks for the link.  I suspect the real issue is that Western government(s) put pressure on PayPal to do this and are trying to delay or halt development of the Neo900.  A phone that treats the modem chip as hostile (separate chip, hardware watchdog, 100% Free Software OS and apps) is not something they can easily abuse and they probably don't want it on the market.  I wouldn't be surprised if the buyers/donors are on a watch list right now.

Well, I don't believe such conspiracy :) The Neo900 project is too small to start such activities by any government. Would be too much recognition for a small project. They would have to pay a team of investigators and updating such lists...

And, there are more effective means of stoping a project than making Paypal apply their "standard procedure" to limit accounts. For example they could have frozen it completely.
Additionally, there are payment methods to continue without Paypal.

Basically, there are hundreds of stories of people having similar issues (limited account) floating around and I would have to add my own one...
So it is more a fight with Paypal policies which are more restrictive and unpredictable than normal banks and credit card merchant accounts. Because they are *not* a real bank.

AFAIK Joerg has asked a lawyer for help.

And more generally, western democracy has rules for electronic and radio devices which are defined by EN and FCC standards everyone can study. They don't change over night on a case by case basis. As long as the Neo900 fulfills them it can have everything like separate chips, watchdog, free software apps etc. All those are not directly forbidden in any such certification rules. The only thing that is forbidden is to operate it without fulfilling the approval requirements.

That is for example the FCC 5GHz WLAN discussion. They don't really care about software or firmware and open or closed. What they care about is that it must be made sure that all devices in operation have the same characteristics as the one that passed the approval measurements and can't transmit on frequencies that are assigned to different radio systems. As long as this can be guaranteed by open software there is no problem with FCC. Unfortunately it isn't, if the WLAN chip is baseband only and the firmware can be replaced or configured differently. Of course with closed software it is easier to prove that it can't be changed.