[Community] Will Neo900 ship before the end of this year?

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Nov 18 17:27:47 CET 2015

Hi,

Am 18.11.2015 um 16:26 schrieb Ryan de Laplante (Personal) <ryan at ryandelaplante.ca>:

> On 2015-11-18 02:18 AM, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> Hi Ryan,
>>
>> Am 18.11.2015 um 07:07 schrieb Ryan de Laplante (Personal) <ryan at ryandelaplante.ca>:
>>
>>> Any news and estimated ship date would be appreciated.

>> Before I start to write something, here a disclaimer: I am not project leader or spokesperson
>> of the Neo900 project.
>>
>> I know from public statements:
>
>> * there are Painpal problems not yet sorted out
>
> Has PayPal explained exactly why they will not release the money and what needs to be done to remedy the problem?  If not, consider issuing refunds just to people who's money has not been spent yet. They can send payment another way such as a checque in the mail.

The last status I know about this topic is this:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95482&page=11

>> * the last EAGLE schematics I have provided are from september 2015 awaiting review feedback
>
> Who reviews and provides feedback?

The Neo900 UG team. My role as a subcontractor is to edit the schematics according to their specs
and if they are happy with it, finally turn it into a pcb layout.

> I imagine only a very small number of people interested in the neo900 have the skills to do that.
>

>> * I have not yet worked on PCB layout (maybe someone else does - but I don't know)
>
> I thought there were already prototypes:
>
> http://neo900.org/news/neo900-progress-update-march

Yes. That are the last prototypes made in 2014. They carry the 3G/4G modem and some connectors/glue logic. And we have tested the display connectors.
Other prototyping that has been finished is to rework a BeagleBoard XM with the 1GB RAM chips and adjust u-boot to recognize it and tell the kernel.

Yes. See µBlog from 2015-09-09 at <http://neo900.org/#main>. But it is still not complete and does not cover 100% of the features.

> and these changes need to be applied to the PCB design and a new prototype needs to be fabricated.

Yes, it takes multiple weeks and has not been started, because the schematics are not 100% approved.

So I would conclude that unless there is something going on which I don't know (and I don't pretend to know everything),
it is very unlikely that anything ships before end of this year.