[Community] [Gta04-owner] Looking for a new project name (gta04-kernel)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Jun 24 11:53:04 CEST 2015

Hi Butrus,

Am 24.06.2015 um 11:41 schrieb Butrus Damaskus <butrus.butrus at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 10:12 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>
> Now, the stage is open for your ideas and comments:
>

> What about "Linux"? ;-)
>
> (In other words, is there any reason gta04-kernel is not mergen into the mainstream?)

some reasons:

1. it is not only about the kernel, but boot loader, makesd script, roofs, etc. I.e. a name for a GNU/Linux distribution optimized (and preconfigured) for our handheld devices
2. yes, we want to merge things into mainstream, but this is still a long way to go. And until we have 100% upstreamed, we need a project name different from “Linux(TM)”.
3. there are components which a kernel for daily use needs but are unlikely to get upstream ever (e.g. the gta04_defconfig, useful user space tools, GPU driver)

I.e. this kernel wants to be ahead of kernel.org and support features missing in kernel.org already today.