[Community] [Gta04-owner] Looking for a new project name (gta04-kernel)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Jun 10 23:12:14 CEST 2015

Hi,

Am 10.06.2015 um 22:59 schrieb neil at ossau.homelinux.net:

> As your subject already hints, I think a key point is to distinguish between naming the software, and naming the projects for things that you are trying to achieve.
>
> (In particular, of course, the software does not need a new name; it is already known as the Linux kernel.)
>
> The projects for each of your devices, it seems to me, could reasonably be seen‎ to be independent of each other, and so could continue to be named after the relevant devices. For example, 'gta04-kernel' is the project to upstream everything needed for the GTA04 into mainline Linux. Once that is done, there’d be no continuing need for 'gta04-kernel' at all; yet another project such as 'nanonote-kernel' might still exist.

Well, there are no different kernels any more. They all sit in a single git repo that is currently called gta04-kernel.git. Which has become a mis-nomer over the time.

There are not even machine dependent branches any more. Just use a different compiler and defconfig and it is done.

Thus the issue is that it started as a gta04-kernel but isn’t any more. It is as of today also a BeagleBoard kernel. And an OpenPandora kernel. And a Pyra kernel.
Even before we get the specific things upstream. And with the MIPS activities we won’t open another git repo. And not even a new branch.

> For me as a GTA04 owner, I’d rather see a ‘gta04-kernel' project and Git repository where I could in principle easily see the current best code,

That is described here:

http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/

> and what was remaining to upstream, for GTA04 specifically; and it would be unhelpful for that picture to be complicated by non-upstreamed changes for other devices.

I understand that you prefer not to see the other devices, but they are hidden in different defconfigs and device tree sources. And patches we make are just to add chip specific functions for chips that happen to be in this or that device.