[Community] [Gta04-owner] Looking for a new project name (gta04-kernel)

neil at ossau.homelinux.net neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Wed Jun 10 22:59:32 CEST 2015

As your subject already hints, I think a key point is to distinguish between naming the software, and naming the projects for things that you are trying to achieve.

(In particular, of course, the software does not need a new name; it is already known as the Linux kernel.)

The projects for each of your devices, it seems to me, could reasonably be seen‎ to be independent of each other, and so could continue to be named after the relevant devices. For example, 'gta04-kernel' is the project to upstream everything needed for the GTA04 into mainline Linux. Once that is done, there'd be no continuing need for 'gta04-kernel' at all; yet another project such as 'nanonote-kernel' might still exist.

For me as a GTA04 owner, I'd rather see a 'gta04-kernel' project and Git repository where I could in principle easily see the current best code, and what was remaining to upstream, for GTA04 specifically; and it would be unhelpful for that picture to be complicated by non-upstreamed changes for other devices.

Just a thought... does it help at all?

Regards,
     Neil